Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What's The Return Policy

There is a beautiful poem entitled Children by Khalil Gibran and in it this passage, (children) "they come through you but not from you, and though they are with you, yet they belong not to you"...which makes me wonder, even though I don't have a receipt, can I still return one?  Because, really, I was just borrowing it and I'm done.
Done.
No. Well then, can I have a replacement or make an exchange?

These are the thoughts that run through my head with my oldest daughter.  Well, these thoughts and worse.
She has been "spirited", "energetic", "passionate" , or "hard to please"  since conception.  I don't care what euphemism you use, she is difficult.  During our pregnancy, and it was definitely an "our" pregnancy, because if it was my pregnancy there would've been less passing out or "being vertically challenged" and a whole lot more ice cream consumption without heartburn.  She showed her colors early, if you so much as laid a hand on her she would kick and punch and generally pummel me to get you off of her.  This would just encourage people to do so more, "I felt the baby move!", and end up with me having the daylights beat out of my bladder and uterus...and this was before delivery! Upon said delivery the nurses deemed her "dramatic".  Being incredibly in love with the idea and then the actuality of her, I didn't catch their drift.  Now I do.  Do I ever.

As always, I want to dissect her behavior and blame it on her father's genetics?

Where did she get this violent nature?   Oh, you used to bite your sister.
Why does she kick at her baby sister just for getting near her?  Mmmm, you're a black belt in martial arts.
Why does she scream words of gibberish in an aggressive tone?  Ah, your family is quite gifted with acquiring language.
Why doesn't she want me to hug her to comfort her?  Yes, you don't like public displays of affection, I see.


Yes, I get it.  It is her father's fault.  She is her father's daughter.  Which makes me think,  I wonder if he has the receipt somewhere in his wallet?

No comments:

Post a Comment